Garfield is the main character of his self-titled comic strip, created by Jim Davis. An orange-furred cat capable of articulate speech, he lives in a house which he shares with his owner, Jon Arbuckle, and the dog Odie. Garfield is lazy; obsesses over eating (his favorite food being lasagna), drinking coffee, and taking naps; and has a disdain for Mondays, raisins, and dieting.
Syndicated in over 2,500 newspapers and journals, Garfield's comic series has been lauded by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's most widely syndicated comic strip. Beyond his original strip, he has appeared on television and in CGI animated films.
Macy's Parade appearances
He first appeared in the Macy's parade as a 60-foot long, 35 foot wide balloon in 1984 and appeared up until 1989, only to return to the parade in 1992 and appear until 1999. This balloon, which weighed 398 pounds and required 18,907 cubic feet of helium to be inflated, led the parade in 1986, 1988, and 1992.
In 2001, Garfield appeared in a costumed character version on the special 75 Parade Superstars float, along with walk-around versions of Kermit the Frog, Skating Snoopy, Sonic the Hedgehog, and other characters whose balloons in the parade had been retired.
In 2003, an all-new balloon of Garfield appeared as Macy's Holiday Ambassador to celebrate his 25th Anniversary. This time, he stands on two legs, and carries his pal Pooky. Said to be the size of 37,000 pans of lasagna, this new balloon retired in 2006.
- Solo (1984-1989, 1992-1999)
- With Pooky (2003-2006)
- In 1984, Garfield's left paw was deflated because he wasn't inflated well.
- In 1986, Garfield's left back paw and right paw was damaged.
- In 1995, Garfield hit a lamppost, but bounced back and no damage was done to the balloon.
- In 1997, Garfield's left back paw was damaged (with his tail getting damaged in the overnight windy conditions).
- In 1998, Garfield sprung a leak in his body at 77th Street. Because of this he couldn't be moved, so he had to be removed altogether.
- In 2004, Garfield suffered damage from his right paw after getting caught in a Central Park tree.