SpongeBob SquarePants is an animated character created by marine biologist Stephen Hillenburg for the Nickelodeon television series SpongeBob SquarePants. Serving as the eponymous protagonist of the series, he is an energetic and optimistic anthropomorphize sea sponge who lives in the fictional underwater city of Bikini Bottom. He works as a fry cook at a restaurant called the Krusty Krab, who goes on various adventures and endeavors with his various friends, including a dim-witted starfish named Patrick and an octopus named Squidward. SpongeBob's show debuted on May 1, 1999 to worldwide critical acclaim, and has since won numerous awards, spawned two feature films, and become the highest-rated series ever to air on Nickelodeon.
History with the Macy's Parade
SpongeBob was introduced to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a balloon in 2004, to promote his first feature film, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. He was absent from the 2007 parade because of rain and a small accident the previous year. He has appeared in every parade since 2008, though his original balloon was retired in 2013 and replaced with a new one giving him a Santa hat. SpongeBob is the fifth Nickelodeon character to appear in the parade and the first-ever square balloon in parade history. In 2014, he was the last balloon in the parade, promoting his second feature, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water.
Later in 2017 SpongeBob would have performers for his Broadway Musical with the same name starring Ethan Slater as SpongeBob. Then the balloon is later featured
- The 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2011 parades all had incidents where SpongeBob got snagged on a lamppost. All these times, however, he was freed.
- In 2012, SpongeBob's right hand and right shoe were deflated because he was not inflated very well.
- SpongeBob SquarePants (2004-2006, 2008-2012)
- SpongeBob with Santa's Hat (2013-present)
- "F.U.N." song (2004-2013)
- SpongeBob SquarePants theme (2014-present)